- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2/3 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 finely chopped walnuts
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Roast red peppers until charred. Place in brown paper bag until skin peels off. When cooled, take any remaining skin off if necessary.
In a food processor blend remaining ingredients besides oil. Slowly add oil to the mix while continuing to blend. Blend until smooth.
Transfer the muhammara to a bowl and serve it at room temperature. Accompany with pita bread or flatbread.